Dear Friends and Neighbors,
I want thank those of you who were able to attend my recent legislative “coffee” at my district office in Richland. We had a great discussion about ideas, concerns and potential legislation for the 2015 legislative session. It was a joy to see you and I so appreciate your willingness to stay involved.
Here are a few bills I'm introducing this year to reform our higher education system and help keep it affordable, transparent and accountable to the public.
House Bill 1146 – would require the state to provide funding to our universities equal to at least 50 percent of the resident tuition rates. This proposal would take four years to implement. Rather than a high debt, high tuition system like we have now, the state would pay for half and the student would pay for half.
House Bill 1147 – would authorize a study to determine the benefits of having our higher education institutions open year round. Other states have shifted to this model and they're finding cost savings that could be implemented here in our state.
House Bill 1303 – would incentivize certain four-year degrees by paying universities more for degrees produced in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
House Bill 1400 – would require departmental budgets for our universities to be posted online to ensure transparency in our higher education financial system. Taxpayers need to know – beyond a shadow of a doubt – that they are getting the most out of their hard-earned tax dollars.
I want to make sure you have every opportunity to be involved in what goes on in Olympia. This is YOUR government. Accessibility to the legislative information and action is paramount to being an involved citizenry. Here are a few ways you can stay connected this year:
- Capitol Buzz – A daily electronic clip service of House Republicans. Click here to subscribe.
- The Current – An online publication from House Republicans to include you in the legislative process. Click here to subscribe.
- Capitol Report – You can get all of the Washington House Republican Capitol Report programs on your iPhone and iPad through the iTunes store by clicking here.
- Check out my website – www.representativelarryhaler.com. From this link, you can get more information about me, the bills I've sponsored and view my news releases.
- Photos – Access my photo gallery here.
- Video updates – Every other week, I record a new legislative video update with the latest news from the Legislature. You can view my reports here on YouTube.
- TVW – The state's own version of C-Span, TVW broadcasts floor and committee action live. You can also watch on your computer, smartphone or tablet: www.tvw.org
- Legislature's website – You can get bill reports, committee agendas and information about upcoming activities in the Legislature at: www.leg.wa.gov
As always, feel free to contact me with any thoughts, questions or concerns about state government or the legislative process. My office is here to serve you.